May 1, 2011

Extreme Makeover: Beaufort, SC


As you all know, I grew up right outside of Beaufort, SC.  For those of you that didn't know, Beaufort is home to two Marine Corps bases - Parris Island and the Marine Corps Air Station.  Parris Island is one of two USMC training facilities.  If a recruit lives east of the Mississippi, he will report to Parris Island for boot camp.  Outside the Air Station there is a sign that says, "Sorry for the noise, that is the sound of freedom."  I get chills just thinking about it.

Though my family was not military, many of my friends' families were.  I had friends growing up that would be stationed in Beaufort for a couple years, then have to move away, and then they would come  back.  I have a close friend who moved back and forth three-four times.  Her dad's final stop in Beaufort was as Colonel and CO (commanding officer) of the Air Station.  He is now Major General Walsh (two-stars).   I saw a few friends through their dads' deployments.  I have several friends now serving in the Marines.

Deployments are extremely hard on families.  A strong community is always helpful when a spouse is deployed.  For one lucky family in Beaufort, our community was extra strong and supportive during a recent deployment.  The Dickinson's received an extreme makeover while their husband/dad was deployed.

Please tune in tonight and watch Extreme Makeover Home Edition on ABC @ 8:00pm.
I wish I could have gone down to assist in project, but it was not during a convenient time for me with school.  Many of my friends at home volunteered.

Wedding weekend recap to come soon!

Soulfully,
Ashton

1 comment:

  1. I might have to take a study break to watch this! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love all your comments, they honestly make my day.