June 29, 2011

Forever to Thee!

The University of South Carolina Gamecocks 

are

Back-to-Back

National Champions!!

I was just getting used to winning the first one!

Going to have to expand the trophy case!
For those of you not familiar with Gamecocks sports, let me up this championship in perspective.  Until a year ago, USC had never-ever won a champion in any major men's or women's sports.  No disrespect to the lone title we held in women's track and field.  This was due to what most refer to as The Chicken Curse {see here} {I even wrote a paper and gave a speech on it college, therefore it must be legit}.  Now, just maybe, we have shaken the chicken curse!




In the postgame interviews, the players were talking about how this team was not full of first round draft picks, but they know how to win baseball games.  And, honestly, I would rather have a team that plays with heart, grit, and determination than one loaded with super talent.

I would like to introduce you, again, to the most underrated pitcher in the nation...

Michael Roth
Roth ended his season with an ERA of around 1.00.  He came home with the second lowest ERA in College World Series history.

Mr. MVP, Scott Wingo!


What to know a funny story about this guy...His dad played baseball at Clemson.  Clemson coach Leggett didn't give this defensive ace a second look.  He decided to take his talents to the Capital City.


Carolina is not used to setting winning records, but we set a few last night...

We became only the sixth team in CWS history to repeat.


We set a NCAA tournament record by winning 16 consecutive games. {dating back to last year}

Statute outside the stadium
We set a CWS record by winning 11 consecutive games. {dating back to last year}


From the last bat at the Blatt to breaking in the new TD Ameritrade Park, this past year of baseball has been amazing.

Final Record: 55-14

Soulfully,
Ashton

4 comments:

  1. Great post! Still can't (but can) believe it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! I had no idea the Game Cocks had never won before last year--makes the story even better :)

    I love the continuity of last game in Blatt, first game at TD Ameritrade. Random but slightly connected: my dad by chance got to do the last surgery at the old LA County Hospital and the new LA County hospital!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only skimmed this post because I'm still mad y'all beat us, BUT, I totally agree, having heart and determination is more important than pure skill!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love all your comments, they honestly make my day.