January 3, 2011

Getting Older but NOT Growing Up



     Let's be honest, the "real" world is going to hit me like a freight train going 100mph in a short year and half.  I can confidently say that I know what I want to do when I "grow up," and that I am somewhat ready to start my career.  But, the responsibilities of full adulthood scare the buhhhgeezzzesss out of me.  For the most part, I am on my own now, but I still have a safety net of sorts.  I, guess, the biggest thing that worries me is whether I will have a job or not when I finish law school.  I just want to be 17 forever...I mean let's be real it is the perfect age of (somewhat) innocence, fun, and optimism.  You are a HS Senior and "rule" your universe, you are naive to world beyond high school, you have no reason to be bitter (minus those Emo kids), and you have little to no responsibilities.

     The reality of it, though, is that I/we are getting older.  All of my close friends (with the exception of us law students) have graduated from college and started their "big kid" jobs.  With that being said, I have noticed a few things over the past couple of months.  I have compiled them into the Top Ten Signs We Are Getting Older....drum roll please:
  1. Everyone has changed their voicemail to sound more business like - No more of this "Heyyy, it's Sally. Leave a message!" Said in a super cute voice.
  2. I got excited because tupperware was on sale - 50 pc. set for $20, YES I WILL!
  3. Looking forward to the Sunday paper for the coupons - then squealing over how much you save after your next trip to the grocery store.
  4. My friends no longer have seasonal breaks (and neither will I soon).
  5. This will be my last "real" summer until retirement (depressing).
  6. More bills than magazine come in the mail.
  7. Youngsters calling me "ma'am" - not that I am complaining because it is a sign of respect.
  8. Constant alumni mailings asking for money.
  9. I asked for a new suit for Christmas.
  10. Trends - music, movies, & clothing - from high school are considered old school.
     Hopefully, I am not the only that feels this way or has experienced these things.  But in the words of Meredith Grey, "When did we become adults?  And, how do we make it stop?"

Soulfully,
Ashton

5 comments:

  1. Ha, I love it! Especially 2 & 3. I know I'm getting old because I'm planning on using my tax return towards a new dishwasher. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very true! Thanks so much for the comment on my blog. It is always very exciting to know that people are reading. I have one to add to the list- When you see kids that look like they are 13 get into the driver seat of their car...without their mom in the passenger seat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soo true. No more summers. I didnt appreciate them when I had them either. LOVE the title of your blog as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your blog with me! It's always nice to find another Gamecock fan in the blog world!!
    Thanks for the tip on the football schedule. Unfortunately, the ACC doesn't follow the same path as the SEC and mixes theirs up every year. I looked at several previous years to see if there was a pattern, and nope, of course not!
    Sigh- guess I'll be sweating it out til February!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! Found your blog through Emily's. Its so nice to find another Carolina gal! I'm a brand new follower. Welcome to the fab world of blogging.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love all your comments, they honestly make my day.